07 February, 2008

Choose Life!

Choose Life!

Photobucket

I warned you in one of my previous blogs that I would eventually discuss some serious material…..this is my attempt to explain how I feel regarding a complex issue…it is hard to fully express my feelings in words…but…I tried.

When I was a teenager in the late 70s/early 80s, I had not thought much about abortion. I remember discussing it with my younger brother, and we both were against it, except for cases of rape, incest, and the life of the mother.

As males…who were we to say what a woman should or should not be allowed to do.

This was my basic feelings on the issue for a long time. I really did not think much about it.

When my wife was pregnant with our first child my perspective changed. I now Choose Life no matter what the circumstance!

Our church did a study on 40 Days of Purpose. My wife and I loved this study!

Pastor Rick Warren mentions in one of the studies that ALL babies are created with a purpose and that there are NO MISTAKES! If you ever are depressed or feel bad that your life is not what you think it should be, remember that YOU ARE NOT A MISTAKE! God LOVES you!

During my wife’s first pregnancy I did all the things that men are supposed to do now days. I went to several appointments, and got to hear our daughter’s heart beat and witness the first ultrasound pictures! We prayed and prayed for a healthy child! I remember one particular visit, late in the pregnancy, in which they were to monitor the baby…she was asleep…in the womb. The nurse used this thing that vibrated loudly and held it against my wife’s stomach. I will NEVER forget what happened. Our daughter JUMPED so hard that my wife nearly fell off the exam table!

Experiencing this sealed the deal with me...ALL unborn children are ALIVE and HAVE the Right to Life!!

NO EXCEPTIONS!

Photobucket


Photobucket

Regarding my previous way of thinking…


Pregnancy due to rape or incest:

It is not the precious child’s fault! The child is a wonderful and tremendous BLESSING that can help the victim overcome something horrible that happened to her! Think of the love children give their mothers! Even if the child is given up for adoption, this child will be a BLESSING!

Risk of life to the mother:

It strikes me that this is not that common now days. Medical advances that God has revealed to the doctors can help get a lot of high risk pregnancies to term. I also think that most mothers would give their own life if it meant that their child would survive! As a father, I know I would give mine, if it were to save the one’s I love!

I also used to support capital punishment or the “death penalty.”

I had always heard things that mention the “right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.”

I knew it was not in the Bill of Rights, and was wondering about this phrase.

I wanted to use this “right to life” phrase when people would question my Choose Life stance. This phrase is not doctrine from some church, but from the founding fathers of our country!

After some quick research I found that this phrase is found in the Declaration of Independence, which does not really mean we have these rights in the legal sense, but they were a part of the foundation of the United States of America. Our rights were established in the U.S. Constitution.

Here is the quote from the Declaration of Independence:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

In my attempt to discover ways to explain my “Choose Life” attitude, I looked up the word “unalienable.”

I found this…“Not to be separated, given away, or taken away,” and “incapable of being repudiated or transferred to another.”

I think the authors of the Declaration of Independence chose the word ‘unalienable’ carefully and on purpose!

I cannot take this right to life away from anyone! They cannot give it to me even if they wanted to! The simple fact that we exist means that we have this right! It also means that no government can take this right away either. This led me to the revelation that the government should not be in the business of killing people…even evil, wretched criminals.

The reactive side of me wants to allow the death penalty, but since unborn children have this unalienable right to life, criminals and murderers also have this unalienable right even if they do deserve to die.

In the larger picture we all deserve to die, for the wages of sin is death. But since Jesus bore our burden, we can now have eternal life in Him.

So there you have it. Choose Life!

Also…Choose Eternal Life!

Out of the mouths of babes….

I am going to ‘orgazine’ my doll house….

Photobucket

She cannot say ‘organize.’

2 comments:

Emmychka said...

Wow Burt! What an honor to know you found my blog! I will say I remember going to your house. I have a scar on my hand from playing spoons there. ;)

What an excellent post about Choosing Life. As a woman, it breaks my own heart to hear so many other women say that their "choice" is the only way, the "best" way. That and people are not givig the full story of what happens after an abortion to a woman. The symptoms that strike a resemblance to Post Traumitc Stress disorder, depression and other things.

It is encouraging to find a man saying "choose life". :) Thank you for posting and commenting on my blog! Blessings.

Emmychka said...

Hey Burt,
I'm actually not sure I ever "blogged" about what the center does. It's not quite an orphanage, it's more of a rehab home to help children be able to go back to their families or other families. They are all high risk kids, some have lived on the streets, there's kids who have been abused, and who were drug addicted, but they are still kids. It's the first of it's kind in Ukraine. Another thing I would like to note it all the workers who were hired there are believers which is great. They pray with the kids and if there is a fight between two of the kids, they make the kids sit and talk it out then pray for each other. I'm so encouraged. It's a government run facility nonetheless, but it's really really cool and I hope they are able to build more.

The kids really don't "need" anything because they have a lot. They have everything they need and even some toys, I've been hard pressed to find them something they may need or want. And really, I'm happy for that because that's good that they aren't for want of anything.

This was a really long comment. If you want to get in touch via email just send me a message to emmychka(a)gmail(dot)com :)

Blessings